Monday, August 20, 2007

Revival update: Ziegfeld edition





Mike here with a revival update. Never mind my pushing films like Rear Window, Bringing Up Baby, and Midnight Cowboy. Apparently the Ziegfeld theater at 141 W. 54th St. is closing out the summer with a couple of revivals. Now in the past, they have done a series of films, usually 3 for a week, over the course of 4-7 weeks. Among the films I know people have caught through the Forum include the Lord of the Rings series, the Indiana Jones series, West Side Story, Superman the Movie, Ben-Hur, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and 2001: A Space Odyssey. But right now, they're only showing one film a week for two weeks. Here they are:

DIRTY DANCING- Fri Aug 24- Sun Aug 26 at 12noon, 2:30, 5, 7:30 and 10, and Mon Aug 27- Thurs 30 at 2, 4:30, 7 and 9:30.

SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER- Sun Sept 2 at 12noon, 2:30, 5, 7:30 and 10, and Tues Sept 4- Thurs Sept 6 at 2, 4:30, 7 and 9:30.

Both films are watchable musicals from my lifetime. Both have been listed on the blog before, so I won't do a lot more again. My preference is the Travolta film, but I wouldn't mind either one. I don't know about my schedule during Dirty Dancing, and I wouldn't skip Midnight Cowboy or Bringing Up Baby over for this, but I list all the screening times anyway. Now the Travolta film does play on Labor Day weekend, but I'll be at the U.S. Open, so I didn't bother listing every day of it.

Also note that sometimes, if there are no Internet tickets sold, and if there's no major or even minor walk up business, the Ziegfeld will close without notice. This is especially true of Tuesdays and Thursdays, so be aware. But any chance to catch good films at the last showcase theater in Manhattan is worth writing up about. Later all.

No comments: