Friday, October 23, 2015

Oct revivals for next week





Hi, Mike here with my briefest revival list ever. I didn't expect to have the time for any revivals, especially now that the Mets are in the World Series. But whatta  ya know, these two films are playing when the World Series is not. So here we go with the list. Do you think I can't write a brief posting? Try me:


GHOSTBUSTERS (1984)- Mon Oct 26 at 6:30- Film Forum- A DCP screening of the biggest hit of 1984, in time for Halloween. This will also screen on Sunday morning, October 25 at 11AM, as part of their classic films for young people series. If you can't the Monday night screening, the Sunday morning screening is available. All filmgoers attending Ghostbusters will get a free small popcorn (no butter, their popcorn doesn't need it).

As for the film itself, I like it, fun not-so-little New York movie, which gave me pleasant throwback memories to childhood. The visual effects don't hold up, it feels longer than it felt back then, and though there are quite a few great supporting performances, the film is held together by Bill Murray. A believable X factor whose unpredictability, even if you know the film by heart, keeps you interested and laughing. Hard to believe what this could have looked like if John Belushi lived to tackle the role:



REAR WINDOW (1954) for 10 dollars- Thurs Oct 29 at 8PM- City Cinemas Village East Cinemas- 181-189 2nd Avenue by E 12th St- The Village East Cinema has been doing cheap-ish screenings of Hitchcock films all month long. Yet this is the only screening I believe I can make. My personal favorite Hitchcock, and in my top 25. Also the best film in Jimmy Stewart's career, with a knockout entrance from Grace Kelly that matches or tops anything done today. An AFI Top 100 film:



The next list will be more of a regular size. For now, let me know if there's interest, take care.

No comments: